Thursday, October 1, 2009

Farewell Vancouver

Sunday September 20, 2009

Good morning Vancouver one last time. I had a good farewell party last night. Thank you to everyone who made the effort to come out (you know, we’ve all had those kinds of parties) and also a thank you to the people who wouldn’t have rather been anywhere else. It was an easy clean-up that was done before Roel and I went to bed. We didn’t go out dancing with everyone else because we were exhausted and knew we had a long day and night of travelling ahead. Truth be told I wanted all my strength for today. I’ve been a bit of a train wreck the last 48 hours as everything is sinking in. Some big life changes...pretty much as big as they come. Not a moment of doubt but still a lot to process.

We ran around all morning getting stuff together and then met Pedro, Peter,Kerwin and Jan for a quick coffee before hopping the QuickCoach bus to sea-tac (Seattle-Tacoma Airport). Thanks to Pedro for organizing us together and to the group as a whole for their patience with Roel and I.

These beautiful people were there to the end. I managed to get on the bus just before the waterworks started. As Roel and I sat in the bus in front of the Holiday Inn on Hornby the group stood beside the bus to send me off in style. Waving me off (or maybe shooing me? haha) until out of sight. It brings me to tears to recall this memory. Bittersweet as all true ‘good’byes are. One chapter must always end before another begins. I know it’s schmaltzy and sentimental but my life seems to be full of clichés and metaphors at the moment. Roel held my hand tight as I cried and laughed for longer than I would like to admit. My six years in Vancouver were a wild ride. Extreme highs and lows which makes this farewell charged with emotion. I’m grateful for the life experience I gained as it has really given me a sense of what is important to me and brought me to a place of true contentment on my own. Meeting Roel was a huge and unexpected cherry on top.

We made it to sea-tac at about 7:30pm for our 10pm red-eye to NY. We arrived at JFK at sunrise.
The next chapter had begun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment