Tuesday, October 6, 2009

San Diego

Tuesday September 29, 2009

Good morning Sand Diego! Woke up fully rested but a little groggy from sleeping close to a much needed 12 hours. We went to the gym, looked for somewhere to do our laundry (without any luck) and were off to Roel’s next store in San Diego.

It was a really neat open-air mall. For those not familiar with this style (I wasn’t) it’s similar to an outdoor shopping plaza or outlet mall but a mall. haha I know that doesn’t make any sense. In other words it was exactly like a mall but without any roof. We had a quick bite at an awesome deli/cafe and Roel was off to Bloomingdales to do his thang.

I found a nice relaxed outdoor foodcourt on the second level with wifi and plunked myself down.

After he was done (about 1.5 hrs) he found me and we were off to Tiffany’s (the store). Roel is set on getting wedding bands asap. I kinda like the fact he’s so excited about it. I am too, but he literally can’t wait. We found one we both agreed on for the first time! BUT it is a little out of our current price range. :s Good news though! We found the same one in white gold for a tenth of the price at a regular jewellers (the one at Tiffany’s was platinum) but they have to order in our sizes. We’ll just wait until we’re in New York before we order. I digress.

After the ring excitement we left the mall and Roel toured me around his old stomping grounds. He lived in San Diego from grades 6-10. Saw old schools he attended and an old apartment he lived in with his dad and two brothers. We went to eat at a San Diego Mexican chain: Cotixan. It was drive-in style but definitely not fast food style. It was some of the best Mexican I have ever had. Their guacamole will change your life.

We went back to the a drugstore to pick some things up and relaxed back at the room before meeting Roel’s first cousin Jon (first cousin on both sides of the family!) for dinner. Jon is mature and insightful beyond his years. It was a brief but great sushi dinner. I’m glad he took the time to meet us. He’s an incredibly busy guy with college and working. Oh! And Roel took me to the touristy outdoor mall famous in downtown San Diego so I could pick up Mariah’s new CD which dropped today! YAY!

After that Roel and I went down the street to check out what nightlife San Diego had to offer. We had done our research ahead of time and knew that it was hiphop night at one club. The music was just ok for it being a hiphop night. It was a really interesting crowd. A good mix of people: young and old, male and female, black and white. You get the idea. We had a few drinks, got our dancing in and headed home by 1. Fun night and glad we got out.


San Diego is a fantastic mid-size city. Perfect weather year-round definitely helps. After first impression I think I could live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment