Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Universal Scarios

Saturday September 26, 2009

Goodmorning for the last time Miami. So that brilliant midnight swim idea didn’t pan out. He was comatose. I was lucky to relocate him to the bed from the loveseat he was scrunched up on.
We were up early at 8 so that Roel could be at his afternoon appointment on time in Orlando. About a three hour drive. We made omelettes for breaky and packed the salad I made last night for our lunch on the road.

In Orlando we stayed at the JW Marriott (about 15 minutes from Universal Studios). Hotel room was average but the complex and grounds are very impressive. We stayed on the 26th (top) floor. Good view of the hotel’s golf course and tennis.

Roel promptly left after check-in to go to his store. As Roel ran out he told this place ad a lazy river. I then scrapped my blogging plans (I finally had entries all prepared – I just had to post and choose pictures!) I made reservations for us to play tennis at 8pm and then ran to check out the pool.
On my walk around the pool crossing back on forth on bridges over the wandering river I saw a group of people playing beach volleyball. I weaseled my way in for a couple of games but quickly wore out my welcome. By that time I was ready to cool off and try out the pool (another day over 90 degrees plus high humidity). I grabbed an abandoned tube and set forth on my river expedition. It was longer than I expected. Taking about 25 minutes to get around once and that was with me swimming with the current. Would have been a lot longer had I just coasted.

Roel got back to the hotel around 5 with the idea of us going to Universal Studios for Haunted Halloween Night. It had just opened the night prior. I was reluctant to agree as I knew we’d be at Disney World the whole next day. (I generally have little patience for lines and children – especially in this heat. We are also on an extreme budget believe it or not, hence all the cooking. This was definitely not free).
However he convinced me to do it...he would have been heartbroken if we didn’t go. I knew he had his hopes up already. He even spoke to the ticket guy before he got back to the room to propose the idea. We caught our shuttle at 6:40pm and were off. We were armed with a map of the attractions and had our route set out.




http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/

We stuck to the plan and saw everything we wanted to and more. However we didn’t get back to the hotel until after 1am. It was a lot of fun and I’m glad I experienced it. The 5 or so haunted houses we went to had some scary parts but in general they had too much light and were way too packed with people to be scary. However Roel was literally terrified and turtle and on the ground a few times with his hands over his ears and eyes closed. After the first one I thought for sure we had to leave (too much for him to handle) but he informed me that it’s normal for him and he had a great time. Hahahaha I learn something new about him everyday. He told me he likes to truly put himself in the environment (eg. Trapped in Frankenstein’s mansion, in an actual human butcher shop, etc.) By the way... the 7ft tall Frankenstein men stepping in front of me DID freak me out.

Halfway through the night we got a crazy tropical rainstorm. It came and went a few times through the night. We could have let it ruin our time but rather we bought rain ponchos and jumped in as many puddles as possibles. I think it actually enhanced out time there! haha We also did a few of the regular Universal rides as well (The Mummy Returns roller coaster/special effects ride was my favourite). I also did the mandatory classic Jaws ride. Overall I’m glad for the experience but don’t think I need to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment