Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Exploring South Beach

Thursday September 24, 2009

Goodmorning Miami Beach! Another clear sky. J

We stayed up until 1:30am checking out the new late night hosts (Conan and Jimmy: Conan is still not funny and Jimmy was only funny because he had his ex-snl buddy, Amy Poehler, to reminisce with).

ANYWAY, where was I again? Oh yeah. MIAMI!

Well we had a lazy morning in the room. I made our breakfast while Roel got ready for his seminars. I also caught up on facebook and email. Once I saw him off for his day I got ready to head out and see a bit of South Beach. For those familiar I walked all the way down Collins St and Ocean Dr from our hotel...well down to the volleyball courts at least. I passed by the old boutique hotels on Collins St that have all been upgraded but have kept the essence of their 1930’s art deco architecture. I went into some of these hotels (as recommended by Roel) and was blown away after seeing a pretty boring street facade for most.


I also passed by the restaurants and bars on Ocean Dr. Pretty quiet even considering it was a weekday afternoon. Across the street from this strip is the public beach. At the far south end of South Beach there were beach vball nets set-up with proper nets, antenna’s and lines for public use just as Pedro promised! BUT no one was willing to play in the 110 humidex heat. Believe it or not I was all charged-up and ready to work up a sweat since I’ve been a complete slug thus far on the trip. Where are Peter, Pedro and Steve when I need them?


I chose to walk back to our hotel along the waterfront. As I made my way from Ocean Dr to the beach I was greeted by a huge pair of fakely oversized breasts. She was lying on her back and they were still 3 feet in the air standing at attention. Apparently South Beach is top-optional for women. However, obesity and fake boobs are mandatory. Sorry boys, no pictures. Shortly thereafter I came across groups of mostly fit men in Speedos that were not of the European variety. You know what that means: gays!

There was a good mix of people along the beach in general until I got back to the resort-riddled beach area by where we are staying. There were a lot of baby jellyfish washed up along the way too. I asked a lifeguard about them and was told that they were harmless. Reminded me of Spring Break vacations with my parents in South Padre Island. :)


I came back to relax in the pool and made it back to the room just in time to meet Roel. We made some turkey wraps for a late lunch and watched Oprah/had a nap. The humidity was successful once again at taking any energy I had. We awoke from our nap at 7pm and are now both playing on our respective computers in the living room.

I am proud of myself for going out touring for a few hours in this heat rather than succumbing to the comfort of our beautiful room and amenities by the beach.

After taking our time waking up and watching some TV and making our own dinner (again!) we ventured out to find the non-existent gay nightlife of Miami Beach. One club and one lounge later I had to agree with what I had been told...it’s not worth exploring. The club called Score was pretty nice but the music was awful and it was mostly empty. We then made our way to a lounge called Halo. Amazing music and pretty full. However it was filled with lesbians (the angry type). Unfortunately the music wasn’t enough considering no dance floor and weird crowd. As we headed home we poked our head in at a few hotels and checked out the lobbies and pools at night. The National Hotel won for best pool area and The Ritz Carlton for best atmosphere upon entry.

We made it in at about 1:30am and enjoyed a game of Yahtzee before calling it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment