Thursday, October 1, 2009

Preface

I’m using this blog as a sort of diary to capture this exciting time in my life. I’m making it public to feel a little closer to those closest to me when I may be far away.

For those not as close but still interested in reading I'll try to catch you up in as few words as possible.
I quit my job at UBC as of Sept 16 and have started life together with my husband (Roel) as I follow him across the US before we settle in New York together mid-Oct to the year`s end. Then I'll be in Australia for two months and then Roel and I will backpack across SE Asia before setting up a home together somewhere (TBD) next June. Kapeesh? Good. :)


A picture of the happy couple after the ceremony on August 3, 2009.
Longer Version:
I met Roel in Chicago at North American Gay Volleyball Championships (he’s lives in New York). We met on May 22, 2009 (I first saw him when my team reff’d his game) and we spent the weekend together. He ended up buying a plane ticket the day after the tournament for Vancouver. We spent the summer flying back and forth (six visits in total between the two of us). There hasn’t been a day we haven’t spoke to each other since meeting.

We got married in a private ceremony (no guests, just two witnesses) on August 3 in Vancouver. We would have done it a few weeks prior when I was in New York but unfortunately not possible in the land that lady liberty watches over.

Like I’ve explained to a lot of people: I don’t believe that there is one perfect person waiting out there for each of us but Roel is the one I always hoped existed. It’s still surreal and feels like a movie. I pinch myself everyday. I love him so.

Getting us to present...
Long before I met Roel I had decided not to extend my employment with UBC beyond my term end date of September 16, 2009. I was going to take a year to go on a working holiday to Australia and SE Asia and then move to SoCal for a change in scenery. May as well make use of the dual citizenship, right? Let’s just say that as my relationship with Roel has evolved so have my travelling plans. I’m not set to leave for Australia until January 2010 and it will be a much abbreviated version with him joining me in February or March.

In the mean time I am following Roel around for the next few weeks on his extended business trip across the US. Finally, we will be back at his home in NYC on Oct 8 (where I will stay until I leave for Australia). Confused? I am.
Let us begin!
Disclaimer: I'm not going back to fix typos I don't catch the first run through. Time is too precious! Also, I realize my tenses are all over the place. I'm writing different pieces at different times and filling in here and there as I remember. There, I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment